Click to Print
. . . . . .
March 28th, 2012 - okcBIZ Staff

Ernesto Sanchez

Head of Exhibitions and Registration Oklahoma City Museum of Art Feb. 8, 2012


5:45 a.m.: Wake up, receive the day, give thanks for the many wonders in my life.

Photo by Mark Hancock

 5:55 a.m.: Make coffee (French press) and let the dogs out.

6:05 a.m.: Do some stretching, core and balance exercises.

6:35 a.m.: Check emails, read online newspapers: New York Times, cyclingnews. com, El Periódico de Catalunya, Huffington Post and El Norte.

7:05 a.m.: Take a shower, shave and dress.

7:25 a.m.: Give a “see you later” kiss to my wife, Lin, and go outside to the studio to let Sunshine and TBO (our chickens) get their breakfast, then hit the road to the museum.

7:45 a.m.: Meet my crew at the Special Exhibition gallery to get the final push on installing Princely Treasures: European Masterpieces 1600-1800 from the Victoria and Albert Museum while I’m eating an apple.

9:05 a.m.: Unpack the crate containing the dress of the exhibition. It looks amazing!

9:25 a.m.: Midmorning snack (soy milk and granola bar) while I’m formatting the labels of the exhibition.

10:05 a.m.: Walk to the gallery to keep placing objects of the exhibition. Then 15 minutes later, run the stairs up to the third floor (several times a day) to talk with part of my crew, Freddy and Mikey, who are setting the contemporary exhibition Julie Heffernan: Infinite Work in Progress.

10:20 a.m.: Receive a UPS package containing our vinyl lettering (didactics) for Princely Treasures and tell one of my crew to start setting them in the wall.

11:05 a.m.: Text my Mama wishing her a good morning and checking on them (they live in Monterrey, Mexico).

11:30 a.m.: Set the mount for two objects of the exhibition (a sword and a cane), many of which share complicated settings and requirements.

11:50 a.m.: Make some calls to restock supplies to complete the exhibition.

1:05 p.m.: Have lunch with part of the crew — Erika, Trent, Shannon and Bryan — and our two couriers from the V&A Museum — Alice and Charlotte — at the food court Downtown. I have sesame chicken from Snow Pea — very delicious, by the way.

2:05 p.m.: Back in the gallery to place the last objects of the exhibition, filling out requisitions to pass them to Diane in accounting.

2:45 p.m.: Meet with curator, Alison, to finalize the labels of Princely Treasures and send them to print and later to Bryan for mounting and cutting.

3:05 p.m.: Format the title for Julie Heffernan: Infinite Works in Progress and later send it to the plotter to cut the vinyl lettering.

4:10 p.m.: Start lighting Princely Treasures, which includes some parameters of foot candles (acceptable light exposure to preserve the objects; conservation practices).

6:05 p.m.: Have a beer with Rich and Mikey after we unload the last molding pieces for the diorama cases in the exhibition.

6:40 p.m.: Head home to let the dogs out (Cosgrove, an Airedale, and Lupon, a Beagle mix). Get on the Internet to research some information for a class that I teach as an assistant (Art in Medicine: Observation Skills, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine).

9:05 p.m.: Lin gets home from her class, have dinner – chicken quesadillas – and watch Science Channel.

11:05 p.m.: Wake up on the couch and head upstairs to bed. Night, night!

  • Currently 3.5/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5