Eight properties will be featured on this year’s tour.
The Walters Home: 6210 Riviera Drive.
James Loftis Architects handled the renovation of this home built in 1963. The owners are former Oklahoma Gov. David Walters and his wife, Rhonda.
The Walters bought the 7,800-square-foot house from Robert Hefner III. It is known as The Villa on Riviera. The house surrounds a courtyard and swimming pool.
It was damaged in a fire in April 2001. Loftis was hired to handle the repair and restoration of the house.
430: 430 NW 12th St.
Fitzsimmons Architects handled the renovation of the long-neglected office building built in 1955. It is owned by Midtown Renaissance Group. The owners hired Fitzsimmons to convert the building into apartments. A third floor was added to the building. The top two floors were converted to two-story units with decks offering views of the downtown skyline. The addition increased the square footage from 14,160 square feet to 22,336 square feet.
Calvary Baptist Church: 300 N. Walnut
Attorney Dan Davis and his wife, Joy, purchased the storied church building in the Deep Deuce district. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and was the site of a sermon by a young Martin Luther King Jr.
The architect for the renovation from a church to office space was MODA. The goal was to create a functional office space while keeping the integrity of the church building intact. Private offices are on the first and second levels that overlook the historic sanctuary.
Guardian Lofts: 1117 N. Robinson Ave.
Fitzsimmons Architects renovated the 40,000-square-foot building into residential and retail space. Inside the units, the design includes an industrial loft-style look. The original large casement windows in the 90-year-old building provide views of the downtown skyline.
The entrance to the building has an inset Zen garden courtyard just off an alley plaza. The internalgrand metal stairs are bathed in natural light from skylights.
Kliewer Home: 2801 NE 120th St.
This home was recognized with an AIA design award when it was constructed in 1970 by architect George Seminoff. Forty-four years later, it is again recognized for a renovation by Fitzsimmons Architects.
The siding and shingles were beyond repair, and new sheathing was required. With the new sheathing came reframing of the house. As work throughout the house was completed, the owner, Brent Kliewer, brought in designer Larry Pickering to add custom furniture and art with a nod to the house’s original look and to complement the new finishes throughout.
Small Architects: 108 S. Broadway, Edmond
Housed in a 1906 building, Small Architects oversaw the renovation of its office space in downtown Edmond. Over the years, the building served as a jewelry store with a funeral parlor on the second floor.
Small purchased it in 2011, got to work and completed the project in the spring of 2013. The exterior was restored to its historic facade. Office space, reception and a conference room are on the first floor. The second floor is used as a large architectural studio space for the staff.
Mass Home: 1721 NE 63rd St.
This 1920s home in northeast Oklahoma City sits on five acres. A series of additions over the years expanded the space to accommodate a large family. Mass Architects Inc. set to work to work on the property to make it into a comfortable family home.
A modest cottage was hidden for years until an ice storm brought down branches in 2007. The cottage was retained and made a part of the new family home. The interior includes warm colors, and large windows provide ample light and views of the property’s parklike setting.
The Hart Building: 726 W. Sheridan Ave.
Allford Hall Monaghan Morris LLC not only brought the ailing Hart Building on Film Row back to life but also created an office space for itself inside the 40,000-square-foot building.
As the former home of Hart Industrial Supply Company, the building was converted to Class A office space with features like a double-height, glazed atrium that brings light into the center of the building.
The front entrance also was moved from the north to the south side to reorient the layout and connect it to a landscaped parking area through a forgotten alleyway.
Tickets go on sale March 31 for the self-guided tour. They are available online at aiacoc.org.tour or at TAP Architecture at 415 N. Broadway Ave. or at the AIA Central Oklahoma office at 3535 N. Classen Blvd.